Friday, November 9, 2007

ADOPTING A SOLDIER - Christmas Status

THANKS FOR WANTING TO JOIN IN AND SUPPORT OUR MEN AND WOMEN WHO ARE FAR FROM HOME, FAMILY, AND FRIENDS, AND SERVING IN SUCH DANGEROUS SITUATIONS.

Since Disney's "FAMILY FUN MAGAZINE" November issue included an article listing my website, I have been overwhelmed with requests to help -- over 900 new volunteers and 1,700 emails in the last 5 weeks! WOW! I expect that number to keep growing over the next few weeks too. It was a great idea. Unfortunately, since there is no "organization" here, just me and my computer, I have been struggling to keep up (and awake at my computer).

As of November 27, 2007: I have completed my Christmas project. No additional names will be available until after 1st of the year. Thanks for all your support!!!


Although complete for this year, here's what was available:

You can choose to "adopt' a soldier throughout his or her full deployment in Iraq or Afghanistan. Or, just participate for Christmas gifts and cards.

I can give you a name of a soldier for a Christmas package (rather than the full year-long "adoption"). If you would like to do that, send me an email with "Christmas Gift" in the SUBJECT line of your email.

I'm asking for help with the Christmas stockings for the troops in Iraq-- see the Blog entry below. Some have already started arriving! We only need a few more pledged!

When you agree to "adopt" a soldier for his or her full deployment, it is nice if you can send at least a card every 3 weeks or so. Every-other week would be awesome! You don't have to write a lot, you can use commercial greeting cards. It is nice if in your first letter you tell them a little something about yourself, and even include a photo (just like we would like them to do.)

We are not "adopting" to be pen-pals though. Some soldiers will write back (or email) frequently. Some will not respond for months. Many never do. We are doing this to send support and cheer, and to not let them feel forgotten as so many have.

If you want to send a goody package now and then, that is great. Even a manila envelope with a pack of gum or microwave popcorn is fun. You don't have to spend a big sum of money. Do as little or as much as you want.

If you find you are not getting around to supporting the troop you are responsible for, just let me know, it happens. I can assign another volunteer.

Likewise, if you lose your information, I can resend it. THAT happens a lot! :-)

If you have not already done so, be sure to enter your name on my website e-mailing list so you can get group updates. Go to www.auntnancyusa.com enter your email address, and click "SUBMIT". And, check back here on my Blog often. You can add/delete your own email address on my website yourself.

If you to adopt a wounded soldier, contact "Big John" below:

http://adoptasoldier.bigjohnmiska.com/ - helping wounded troops


"Aunt" Nancy Simioni

--------------------------------