Saturday, February 2, 2008

Thanks from 18th Military Police Brigade

The 18th MPB has been deployed to Iraq three times now. The first time, March 2003, included my niece, CPT Mann, and is when "Aunt Nancy USA" was born. With your help we have supported this unit all three times.

MAJOR DEWEY, of the 18th MPB, sent this Thank-You along this week. If you haven't heard back from your soldier in this unit, he helps explain why.


We all have enjoyed the nice treats you sent last month. I shared them with the other guys here in my office. In fact, if you'd like to do us all another favor, might I request some flavored coffee creamers especially Irish Cream (my personal favorite). The majority of the soldiers assigned to the brigade headquarters would all appreciate this.

We have a little coffee shop in our brigade headquarters and we have a hard time getting things like that here. We would all enjoy it and I'll put a note up letting everyone know it was courtesy of you and your family.

Our brigade is extremely busy right now, engaged in the mission to expand the Iraqi police forces. A very daunting but rewarding mission.

So, forgive us if we don't return your emails right away. We do appreciate the support of the folks back home like yourselves.

Take care and God bless.

Sincerely,

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Find a way or make a way

Larry C. Dewey
MAJ, PTT Chief
18th Military Police Brigade
Camp Victory, Baghdad, Iraq

Here's his earlier email to his sponsor:

Chad,
Thank you so much for your kind gift. I received your package today and I especially enjoy the beef jerky and cookies. The batteries should be enough to get me through the rest of the deployment, about 12 more months. One of my sergeants put my name in Aunt Nancy for me, so I was pleasantly surprised to receive your package. It is grateful, patriotic Americans like yourself that make this job worthwhile.

Don't worry about not including phone cards. I personally don't use them as I am able to talk to my family regularly over the computer and military phone lines. Not all soldiers are so fortunate as to have modern communications systems if they live in remote base camps and outposts.

My brigade has a very exciting mission here in Iraq; to mentor, train, and develop the Iraqi Police, particularly in Baghdad. It is a very challenging, but rewarding mission and we have a very close and personal relationship with the Iraqi Police leadership.

I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and thanks again for your thoughtful gift.

Sincerely,

Larry C. Dewey
Major, Police Transition Team Chief
18th Military Police Brigade

_____________________________